Thursday, March 14, 2013

HIS Purpose for Me


The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. Ps. 138:8

For the past few years I've chosen a verse or passage of scripture to especially meditate on throughout the year.  The above verse is the one I chose for this year; little did I know how often I would already need to be reminded of it.

Over the past months I began to increasingly bemoan my singleness. I've sat by and watched as many of my friends have entered into relationships, moving towards marriage. My own sister, four years my junior even deserted me to join those with "in a relationship" statuses. While I have continued to remain dateless, single, and so much as look at a guy and he disappears. Then the ugly thing rooted up - jealousy. I felt sorry for myself and that I was I was unwanted. I felt I had done the things "good" Christian girls are supposed to do, so I questioned what I could have done wrong. When in reality, it is my perception that has been wrong.

Marriage is not something we obtain once we've completed a list of "requirements". 

I thought I "deserved" for God to bless me with a significant other. I thought I had fulfilled enough "requirements". I let myself sulk and feel sorry for much too long. In my sulking, God reminded me of the verse I chose at the beginning of the year.

"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me."  God just worked that phrase around in my heart for awhile. He reminded me: It is not about what I deserve or even desire - it is about God fulfilling His purpose in my life. If it was truly about what I deserved, I would receive spiritual death and separation from God. I deserve NOTHING but judgment from God. But God has chosen me, and has chosen to fulfill his purpose for me through singleness - whether it be for a season or for a lifetime. I find comfort in that fact. And I know that God is fulfilling a purpose greater than anything I have even imagined!

My struggles have not magically been taken away, but I find peace when I stop fighting against God's plan, and instead trust in His sovereignty.


How has God been fulfilling His purpose in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment